MHMK INFRATECH Services
MHMK INFRATECH aligns itself with the respective Governments’ goals in achieving sustainable development and social equity anchored on localisation, empowerment and employment creation. We partner with Governments to develop infrastructure to increase efficiencies without assuming any of the statutory functions at the border ports.
MHMK INFRATECH operates on the user-pay principle, which benefits all stakeholders.
By providing the necessary physical and IT infrastructure we allow the Government managed functions to operate efficiently. In addition, MHMK INFRATECH will provide support to operational staff to maximise operational and maintenance service offerings. This will include the training of Government employees. We typically provide Build-Operate-Transfer (‘BOT’) styled contracts, which are customised, based on the country’s requirements.
Challenges at Border Ports
African countries are highly dependent on their border ports and related infrastructure and efficiencies.
Constantly increasing cross-border traffic flows require that both the road infrastructure and border ports of a country be upgraded, modernised and expanded. Improved roads and border ports are critical to attracting investment, stimulating industry, reducing transport costs and encouraging trade. The delivery of desperately needed infrastructural development is severely hindered by the lack of availability of funds, financial constraints and liquidity.
At African border ports there are often extended waiting periods of more than 36 hours. The cost of these delays amount to an average of USD 400 to 1200 per day.
Prioritisation of these administrative projects will lead to a number of significant benefits, including maximising the revenue earning capacity of a country, as well as the ability to provide the public with a 21st century service. In addition, transit times are accelerated through border ports and, as such, traffic flow is improved and traffic delays are minimised, while expediting border administrative processes.
In general, our services are divided into 3 phases as illustrated for a border post project below:
PHASE 1: Pre-implementation
MHMK INFRATECH, together with our development partners, have the expertise to offer Governments a holistic solution, encompassing the following:
- Provision and procurement of all required capital for the development of improved border posts from financial institutions and private capital markets.
- Full feasibility study.
- Traffic count and forecasting analysis.
- Economic empowerment and development plan.
- Analysis of employment potential.
- Cross-border tariff regime.
- Geotechnical study.
- Environmental scoping.
- Detailed border port design and costing.
- Architectural drawings.
- Fit-for-purpose, new world-class border ports, tailored to meet Government requirements, including traffic separation, fast lanes and IT infrastructure for e-enabled integrated border efficiency management systems.
- Financial modelling.
- Fully funded solutions.
- Social impact analysis.
PHASE 2: Implementation
The upgrade and/or construction and installation of all physical components of improved border posts. MHMK INFRATECH designs, upgrades and/or expands existing border posts to include the development, construction and installation of:
- New terminals.
- Technical equipment.
- IT systems supporting the performance of new border post facilities.
- In-border road systems.
- Vehicle confiscation yards.
- Shade areas.
- Parking areas.
- Staff offices.
- Access roads.
- Ancillary and related facilities, buildings and structures.
- Selected existing Government staff housing at border posts.
The training and development of staff in international best practices in border port operations and management creates significant opportunities for skills transfer and technology transfer.
MHMK INFRATECH also implements community development projects in the vicinity of its border port developments.
PHASE 3: Operations, maintenance and handover
MHMK INFRATECH provides the following, inter alia:
- Technical equipment for improved border posts, including scanners, weighbridges, communications and information technology systems.
- Training in the proper use of the technical equipment.
- Cleaning, gardening and routine remedial and preventive maintenance of improved border post buildings, structures, parking areas and grounds.
- Maintenance of technical equipment.
- The supply of materials and items required by MHMK INFRATECH, such as moveable traffic signs, forms, uniforms, consumables and stationery.
- Traffic management.
- Customer service.
We administer the relevant levies and collect the fees.